Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sailing and Technicians

It’s all action around here, my heads buzzing with a million different things and I’m starting to feel more and more excited. We’re right down to the details and most importantly on Friday we finally went for a sail! It was one of those perfect winter days, wind 15 knots, no sea, blue water, clear skies etc so all round a perfect day for gently testing everything out. All went well but now I’m even more desperate to get out there and do some solo sailing, talk about itchy feet!

The last few days have been busy with technicians working away on all my communications equipment, Iain from Panasonic Toughbooks did great job of setting up the Toughbook laptops that I’ll use on the voyage and Rod from Satcomms gave me a run down on how to use my Sailor 250 Satellite dome. To begin with all the flashing lights and switches had me a bit worried but turns out there’s nothing to worry about, the Sailor 250 is just like using a normal phone and I think we can safely say that the Toughbooks are more than up to the job.

Lastly, to update you on what I’m now going to call my radio saga. Turns out that my radio and speakers had in fact been wired in, the radios been sitting there in perfect working order only I hadn’t been told!

This evening the plan is to head offshore for a few days so keep posted and we’ll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
Perfect sailing conditions for your first trial in the new 'pink lady' hope it was a fun day out.

All the best for your solo sea passage tonight.

Saraya :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess, Pink lady look great on the day out, very excited for you.Now we need some on deck photos.Can't wait to hear how she handles off shore.
Take care.
Deanna Yeppoon Qld