Friday, August 28, 2009

The Other Side of the World

Not that there hasn’t been enough to keep me busy right here at home, but over the last few days I’ve been thinking a lot about Mike Perham who crossed his finish line in the UK yesterday to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world. There isn’t much I can say, but congratulations! and how excited for you, Mike!

In my books, Mike's achievement is totally amazing. His trip wasn’t all exactly smooth sailing, and handling his yacht Totallymoney.com, an open 50, isn’t something I can imagine. I’ll stick with my little S&S 34, even if we cant quite match that kind of speed!

Ever since getting the chance to meet Mike when he made a brief stop in Australia I’ve been grateful to have had the chance to talk to him about all the different aspects of sailing around the world. To hear about his experiences and swap notes has been really cool.

Actually, I’ll admit it. I’m a little glad that Mikes home, what with Mike's boat being about as different as you get to Pink Lady, it's only natural that there’s been a lot of jokes back and forth. I’ve spent the last few months constantly hearing about the amazing speeds he’s been achieving which mostly has the effect of turning me green with envy!

Hats off to Mike from me, and congratulations again!

10 comments:

Scott said...

I think what you are doing is great and I wish you all the best.

I was wondering if I could ask you a personal type of question for a paper I'm thinking about.

I was wondering if how you view the role of faith in determining your success.

Zac Sunderland is quite vocal about the role that his mother's prayers played in helping him do his trip.

Do you have an opinion about this that you'd be willing to share. You said you are doing this to inspire other girls, do you think that there is some supreme force in the universe that decides if you make it or not? Or are the dangers the dangers, and preparation and self reliance the thing that people need?

Interested in your thoughts.

Scott (father of two little girls)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
Nice pic's of 'pink lady' and bulk shopping sounds fun.
It would have been amazing meeting Mike and sounds like it would of been very tough on a big boat like that.
Good Luck on your passages

Saraya :-)

Anonymous said...

And now that Mike has accomplished his goal, the way is cleared for you to take the Youngest Round the World record . My prayers are with you for a safe and fun time as you go for your gold.
Kathy
Bend. OR USA

Anonymous said...

Dear Jessica,

I followed Zac Sunderland's blog, Mike Purnham's blog and I will be fully engulfed in reading yours. I wish you much success. It will be a gratifying experience once it is complete. May God bring you back around safely.

Karen

Dave said...

You are my new hero. I will be watching you. Is anyone posting your progress on Google Earth or another "globe" site ?

Thomas said...

Hey Jessica

can't await seeing you on ESPN
hoping for posts from you journey.

Do you make a stop for sleeping or you do you let the autopilot sail?

wish you the best

Thomas

Justin Miles said...

Hi Jessica,will we (internet viewer) be able to track your location (ie using something like the Spot Satellite Messenger if not get someone to create a Google Maps/Earth and plot your course manually once you give a GPS plot.Look forward to following your progress from South Africa,will you have webcams on board uploading to the Internet ie midafricam.co.za Holding thumbs for you

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess been away from my usual posting place. But just caught up now.Wow Wow Wow so much has happened. Thanks for the on deck photos.Marvelous So lovely I'm sooo envious and nervous for you.Keep us tuned in Jess.
Take Care
Deanna Yeppoon, Qld

Anonymous said...

The world is watching.

God speed Jessica Watson

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and happy sailing Jessica. Watching your progress from Elk Grove, California. Barbara