Friday, January 16, 2009

New Zealand's still rolling!

Becalmed off the New Zealand coast with dolphins.
First sight of land, North Cape New Zealand.
Sailing nicely off Lord Howe Island, 25kns of wind.

First of all, an apology for the delayed and long awaited update from shore and for the often brief posts while at sea. Communication by sat phone isn't all it's cracked up to be! I'm newly inspired to find a communications' sponsor. For the wonderful posts and tracking map we did get I owe a huge thanks to Mum and Martin. Mum's efforts translating the static and getting descriptions out of me were heroic!

New Zealand still rolls every morning when I get out of bed but I've slowly been adjusting to shore life. The last few days feel like they have passed in a cloud of interviews and phone calls. I'm itching to get home as things are really starting to happen, but have been stranded over here till Monday morning when I'll catch the first affordable flight out. An ex kitchen hand with a very sorry looking bank account can't afford to be fussy!

I'm currently staying at Matapouri, a place just north of Tutukaka, where I can finally begin to deal with the mountain of emails in my inbox. But it's not all work. I've been discovering that the coast-line here is as amazing as it looked from the sea and meeting various Oceanswatch members.

Below is a list of links to media stories including TVNZ's video clip. Keep an eye out on my website and blog for more pictures, stories and videos, coming soon!


That's all for now,
Jessica 'out'

No comments: